Company Registration in ZimbabweRegister your company as a PBC for $70 or PLC for $250
Register your business in Zimbabwe
Register your business in Zimbabwe as a PBC (Private Business Corporation) or PLC (Private Limited Company). We have helped many entrepreneurs to successfully register their companies in just 12 working days.
register yours in 2 simple steps
Company registration information and tools
Advantages of registering a company as a PBC or a PLC
Offers limited liability
A company has limited liability and it can sue and be sued in its own name. If the business’ assets are attached over debt this will not affect the owners’ personal assets.
When you do business as an individual, your business dies with you. Registering a business ensures the continuity of your business beyond just you as a person.
Compete for big business
Competing in business as an individual is not easy. The only way to level the playing field is to be a registered company. That way you can effectively compete with the big guys.
Participate in tenders
Both government and commercial tenders require company papers as one of the conditions for participation. That means only registered companies are able to get tenders.
Don’t wait until its too late to register your business.
People lose important business opportunities daily simply because they are not registered. Most companies will not work with a business that is not registered. Imagine that you have pitched your product and the client is interested. You have invested a lot of time and resources to win this client and they are now ready to make an order. But before they do they need your company documents first. Sounds familiar? It is. Don’t let that be you, register your company today!
The requirements for company registration (PBC or PLC)
The requirements for registering a business in Zimbabwe are as follows:
- 1 to 4 proposed names for your company, these need to be submitted in order of priority. So you start with the name you want the most and then list the rest ending with the one you want the very least.
- The core business of the PBC or PLC. These will be the main objects of the company.
- The full names and ID numbers of between 1 to 20 members for a PBC. These will serve as the shareholders and directors of the Private Business Corporation. This is equivalent to the CR14 on the Private Limited Company. In a PBC this goes on the Statement of Incorporation.
- The full names and ID numbers of at least 1 shareholder for a PLC. These will serve as the shareholders or owners of the Private Limited Company. In addition to the shareholders, a Private Limited Company requires at least 2 directors. These can be the same as the shareholders or they can be employess. The shareholders go in the Articles of Association and the directors go on the CR14.
- Each members interest or stake or share in the PBC or PLC. The total interest of all the members combined must be 100% in a PBC.
- Physical and postal address of the business. In a PBC this goes on the Statement of Incorporation and in a Private Limited Company it goes on the CR6.
- Each member of the PBC must sign the Incorporation Statement before the Registrar affixes his seal, stamp and signature. In a PLC the shareholders must sign and state the number of shares they are taking in the Articles of Association.
- A budget of $70 for the basic PBC registration and up to $260 if you get optional member certificates, PBC by-laws, ZIMRA bank opening letter and ZIMRA ITF263 tax clearance certificate. A budget of $250 for the basic PLC registration up to $420 if you get optional member certificates, ZIMRA bank opening letter and ZIMRA ITF263 tax clearance certificate.
PBC and PLC Registration Procedure
The procedure for registering a company in Zimbabwe generally follows two steps:
Stage 1: Name search
A request is made to the Registrar of Companies office for a search to be made in the Register of Companies. The following is applicable at the name search stage:
- The purpose of an application for reservation of name is to get the authority of the Registrar to use a particular name.
- If the Registrar approves your application to reserve a name, he will reserve that name for you for a period of 30 days to enable you to register your PBC or PLC. He will not allow any other person to register that name during that period.
- You are advised to give four names in your application so that if one name is not accepted, another one may be. You should list the names in order of preference.
- The Registrar will not accept a name which is similar to that of another PLC or PBC, or is likely to mislead the public or is indecent.
The Registrar will give a written notice of whether any of your names were accepted or if they were rejected. This process takes 3 to 6 working days.
Stage 2: Registration of PBC / PLC and appointment of members or directors.
After your name has been successfully reserved, the documentation for the registration of the PBC or PLC must be submitted to the Registrar of Companies. This process involves the appointment of members (shareholders/directors) of the PBC. Each member is assigned a percentage of ownership in the PBC. The total percentage for all members must add up to 100%. For a PLC this will be appointment of shareholders, directors and a company secretary.
The Registrar will then register the PBC or PLC and assign to it a registration number. The Registrar will put his seal, his stamp and his signature to the PBC Incorporation Statement to signify its authenticity. For a PLC the Registrar will issue a Certificate of Incorporation and affix his signature and stamp on the Articles of Association, Memorandum, CR6 and CR14. The PBC or PLC is also entered into the Company registry and becomes searchable in the Registrar’s database. This process takes 3 to 6 working days.
About Company Registrations: Frequently Asked Questions
Definitions: What does PBC or PLC mean?
Should i register a PBC or a PLC?
A PBC (Private Business Corporation) is meant mainly for small to medium operations. It is good for those who don’t want the high fees associated with registering and maintaining a PLC (PLCs pay annual returns and consultants usually charge $60/year). A PBC is also ideal if you have less than 20 shareholders or you want to be a sole trader. You cannot register as a PBC if you want to register a pharmacy or a micro-finance company since the requirements of the MCAZ or the RBZ don’t accommodate a PBC.
How come i have never heard of the PBC?
Why is the PBC cheaper to register?
How many directors can a PBC have?
Can a sole trader register as a PBC?
Where can i download the PBC Act?
Can a PBC register for tax and get a tax clearance certificate?
Can i open a bank account with a PBC?
What if i want to change my PBC to a PLC?
Can a PBC apply for tenders?
Do i get CR6, CR14, Memorandum and Articles of Association?
I have another company i own, can it own shares in my PBC?
Sample PBC Incorporation Statement
Angel & Walt
Suite 107, 1st Floor, Gelfand House.
Cnr 1st Street & Speke Ave. Harare, Zimbabwe.
Tel: 04-251092, 04-2934120. Mobile: 0772 957786, 0732 957786
Send us an email